Thursday 9 June 2011

Madness....One Step Beyond

.



.

When I was a spotty faced teenager in the early 1980's, I was a bit of a Rude Boy. Not rude in the sense that I would flick V's at pensioners on the number 45 bus. When I say Rude Boy, what I mean is that I was no stranger to Sta Press trousers, Bass weejun shoes, Fred Perry polos and fishtail parkas.


One of my favourite bands of mine at the time were Madness. As a thirteen year old, I thought they were great and, even now when I hear certain songs of theirs, it takes me straight back to the second year school disco and the intoxicated feeling you would get when three of us shared a can of Breaker Malt Liquor and a whiff of the Third Years' Vodka.


What has this nostalgic preamble into my past got to do with beer, I hear you say.


Well, it's simple. I used to revere those lovable Cockney roustabouts but my affection for them diminished today when I saw that thay have been selling their soul to the corporate beer devil by making this advert for Kronenbourg, owned by Carlsberg.









If I could be arsed, I'd be disappointed.


I guess I kind of gave up when Iggy Pop and John Lydon started flogging insurance and butter. Admittedly, It's not on the same bad taste scale as those two.


I just hope they got paid well.


.

3 comments:

  1. Lemmy was better doing "Ace of Spades" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was going to second Lemmy doing an ad, too.

    Madness in their early 80's heyday had several very nice paydays making ads for Japanese TV. Youutoob might have such gems as their pimping the Honda City. More power to 'em...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don't like this advert and I really don't have a clue why.

    ReplyDelete